Making the most of online shopping to gear up for your next adventure
The rapid evolution of the internet has had a truly remarkable impact on so many aspects of how we lead our lives today. Perhaps this is most apparent in the way we shop. Even the most technophobic consumers are coming to appreciate the benefits that can be enjoyed from shopping online, from basic convenience to the confidence of securing the best deal.
In tandem with this, the internet has also broadened both our scope and our desire for travel. Far-flung destinations that would have seemed prohibitively exotic or expensive just a couple of generations ago are now top of the list for travelers who get their inspiration online, do some research and get the best possible value for money travel options.
Combining these two things, shopping and travel, and facilitating them with the range of online options and platforms now available to us provide almost unprecedented opportunities for fun, excitement and adventure.
Your Shopping List
Here are a few things to consider purchasing when preparing for an adventure holiday:
- What you use to pack is almost as important as what you put in it. You need something hard-wearing but not too heavy, and ideally lockable.
- A first-aid kit is an absolute essential, and should include any medication you regularly use along with location-specific medication such as malaria tablets or sun cream.
- Do not rely on your phone! Invest in a good map and compass, and learn how to use them properly.
- Always have a means of contacting a safe place so you can call for help in an emergency and let people know where you intend to be at any given time.
This is a start but by no means an exhaustive list. Not least because what you need will depend largely on where you are going and what you intend to do when you get there. At first glance, an adventure holiday can, therefore, seem to be a hugely expensive undertaking. While it is important for safety reasons to invest in the best possible gear, it is not necessary to break the bank to do so.
Here are a few hints and tips on how to get the best possible value for money when shopping online.
- Shop Around. It sounds obvious, but it is surprising how many people do not take the time to look around, despite the fact that significant savings can invariably be found, particularly with regard to online product specialist suppliers such as Seen on TV. Identify the best price comparison sites and use these as a starting point, but remember that the best deals can also sometimes be found from going direct.
- The flip-side to this is that you can enjoy discounts via reward schemes if you make multiple purchases from a single supplier. Schemes like this are not always beneficial enough to shop only on one particular site if the site’s prices are not competitive, but it is important to take rewards into account if you intend to make repeat purchases of a particular product.
- Do some research and find out when certain retailers of industries tend to offer the best discounts. Department stores tend to do this on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays while airlines do this on a Sunday.
- It may seem difficult to haggle for a bargain online, but if you think it is a possibility try and find a contact number and speak to a customer services team. A good technique is to mention competitors, deals you have seen elsewhere or at other times, and the fact you are already a loyal customer.
- Sign-Up. Many sites offer their best deals to their most loyal customers, and they do so via email newsletters and announcements. Get yourself on to all the right mailing lists to make sure you are the first to know when a sale is on or a special discount is introduced.
The Adventure of a Lifetime
An adventure holiday has all the potential to create the sort of memories that will stay with you forever. Almost by definition, there are risks involved. In fact, for some people the risk is part of the appeal. These risks can be mitigated however by investing in the right gear and fortunately, it is easier than ever today to get the best possible value for money by shopping online. Doing so will allow you to enjoy your adventure and really make the most of it confident in the knowledge that you have purchased the best kit for the best price.